Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Coffee with Langston

It's interesting reading
words, barely a century
removed
yet still so vibrant
off the page
as if Langston was
sitting right across from me

um, Excuse me Mr. Hughes
do you mind if I call you Langston

Powerful words inked
on the pages of a book
of life and love
and death
echoing the sentiments of
poets and prophets past

do you mind the comparison?

Inspiring another young
man of color
to write his own
words and verses
to tell his own
story and saga
to preform his own
song and dance

not that I would ever
compare myself to you

I am twenty-two
and colored
which implies something
different now
than even a half century ago
but the struggles remain
of being young and dumb
and considered insane

would you like another cup?

I write this as a tribute
to Mr. Hughes
who has inspired generations
to hold fast to dreams
to give voice to the voiceless

thank you, Langston, for your time

No comments: